Friday, August 19, 2005

Riviera : Broken Sounds from Chicago, IL

Riviera : Broken Sounds from Chicago, IL

It's funny the things you run into on the net. The other day, I was digging through my CD collection and came across a CD that I had burned for me a few years ago. It was my old college roommate's first studio effort with his band - Sugar Maple Voodoo. The CD was titled Jibe. Anyway, I went and 'googled' them on the web and found this page - MixedWire: News. It had all of SMV's first album studio stuff as well as their long lost, never fully publicized studio album on it. Interesting. Anyway, long story short, I found my old roommate through Friendster and got to talk to him. Come to find out, he's out in Chicago, he's married, and he's playing with this band Riviera. I bought their new CD At The End Of The American Century... on iTunes. It was a $10 investment in his future. How could I not... Not bad stuff. You can hear the Wilco influence, but there's also flairs of everything from Tom Petty to The Grateful Dead to the Stones. Interesting stuff. If you like the alt-country/rock type music, then you'd probably like it.

And, to top it off, they are coming to NYC next month - September 16th to be specific. I might try and see him. I think it'd be a good time.

Regardless, be sure to check out the site and listen to the band. You never know, you might just like it.

No comments: