Thursday, August 04, 2005

Atrophy...

It's such a nice looking word - you'd almost consider it to be a nice word considering how it's put together "a-trophy." But, alas, it's anything but nice.

Merriam & Webster define it as the following:

Main Entry: at·ro·phy
Pronunciation: 'a-tr&-fE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -phies
Etymology: Late Latin atrophia, from Greek, from atrophos ill fed, from a- + trephein to nourish
1 : decrease in size or wasting away of a body part or tissue; also : arrested development or loss of a part or organ incidental to the normal development or life of an animal or plant
2 : a wasting away or progressive decline

What in the hell is he talking about, you ask? The answer is plain and simple - my right knee. Tomorrow (08.05.05) will be 2wks to the day that I had my surgery completed and I am far from recovered. My Range of Motion (ROM) is anything but good, there is still swelling and a bit of pain in the area, and - for the first time in over ten years - I can honestly say that my right leg is smaller than my left (hence the above rant). I am not a happy camper to say the least.

Perhaps I've put some exceptional expectations on myself. I figured that I'd be almost ready to rock-n-roll after two weeks. Instead, I'm still rolling in and out of bed at night. What the fuck! PT was started yesterday and it looks like I've got a long road to go, but I'm going to get there. This setback will not beat me! I'm so determined to get in the water before this summer is out. Alright, I should stop bitching here and get back to being semi-productive...more news later (if I feel like it).

No comments: