Friday, July 30, 2004

Not seeing the Forest for the Trees

Don't you hate it when you've been working on a project for a long time and seem stuck in a rut on a seemingly tough portion of it only to have someone who has not put in any time or effort come over and say "Oh, if you did X, Y, and Z you'd be all set."  Arrrgggh!  Well, it happened to me this morning. 

I've been trying to design a hard stop for a tilt drive we have and have been running into failure issues due to the high torque on the thing.  My boss comes over and asks for an update - so I run him through everything and then tell him where I'm having issues.  Then he goes "Well, what if ou modify the gear so that it's impossible for it to rotate past a certain point."

Duh!  I've been staring at this thing for a week, running all kinds of funky calculations, doing all kinds of funny number crunching and then he comes over and solves it in five minutes.  So freaking irritating.  But, at the same time, it's a great idea that I would have missed - I knew I was looking too closely at this thing.

But, hey, it's Friday and it's almost lunch time, so things can't be that bad today.  I can't wait to get out of here.  We're going to see Bourne Supremacy tonight.  I can't wait.  It looks awesome.  Then we're heading down to Jersey tomorrow to see Brent and Christy.  Should be a fun time.  Alright, enough blogging...time to get back to work here...

1 comment:

Big Dan said...

Just to note - my boss's idea won't work out because of rotation limitations that I realized later on. It'll protect it in one direction of rotation, but it won't protect it the other way since we need to have (essentially) two hardstops in that direction - one for normal operation and one for service. So, booyah, his ideas don't work either :)

[u]Bourne Supremacy[/u] was freaking awesome. Great movie. Highly recommended!