Thursday, February 09, 2006

Change Sucks Sometimes...

Far be it from to begrudge someone a chance to grow and follow a new path. Lord knows I've done it more than my fair share in the past three years. But, sometimes change just sucks - especially when it involves your best friend.

My best friend has been fed-up with his current gig as a On-Site Manager (means he lives there) of a self-storage facility for I don't know how long. He's always had ambitious goals about changing it, but they've always been either put on hold or not pursued. Well, not this time. He went down to Ocean City (OC), Maryland (MD) and tried out for the summer supplementary police force. As luck would have it, he got in. He'll be a police officer down there during the summer rush (it's a resort-type town for those of you who don't know) and he'll most likely have a good shot at getting on the force full-time if he performs well.

I'm estatic for the kid, I really am. He seems so happy and excited about it. I know the feeling of leaving a job you hate for one that looks promising and rewarding. It's such a rush. What I don't like is the fact that, right now, he only live about 1-1.5 hours away. We can surf, snowboard, and generally hang-out as much as we want. OC, on the other hand, is 5.5 hours away! So much for weekend surf sessions and Sundays at Creek. I'm super bummed out.

Some of you probably know how much I detest the area of the country that I live in. Housing prices are over-inflated, population density is out of control and, to top it all off, I'm surrounded by Jets and Yankees fans! The only two solices I had were A) I live with my lovely, caring, beautiful bride and B) my good buddy was a short car ride away. I'll still live with my wife, but my buddy isn't going to be there anymore. It sure puts a damper on living on Long Island.

So, yeah, change pretty much sucks! I want to be happy for the guy because I know it's what he really wants, and I know he feels the same way about leaving the area (we both are of the quality over quantity mindset with friends), but it's going to be tough to see him go.

I need to start looking for a gig back in Boston I think...yeah, the wife will loooove that one.

No comments: